Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Speedy Gonzales

Today's run was intervals. 18 km with 4 x 1600 meters and 800 meter recovery jogs. Yikes.

I usually do my speed work inside on my treadmill, but my program has ramped up the milage for the next few weeks, and suddenly a 12 km speed workout has turned into a 18 km speed workout. After trying 16 km last week, I knew I couldn't keep it up on the treadmill... so, outdoors I went.

I was supposed to run the 1600 meter intervals in 9:09 - but of course, since I have been running much faster than the pace suggested to me in the program - combined with being in the beautiful outdoors, I ran much faster.

1st - 8:38
2nd - 8:31
3rd - 8:42
4th - 9:07

I know one should strive for negative splits, but the speed and length of the interval got the better of me. (In addition to those darn headwinds that come through the valley I was running in.)

I was working overtime trying to convince myself to knock off at mile 15, then 16, then 17. Bully for me that I hung on and completed the entire 18km. Amazing what a feeling of achievement one gets after such a run!

Tomorrow is supposed to be an 18km mid long run, but I think I'm going to scale back to 15km. I am running with a friend who is trying to get back into it, and it's going to be a much slooower pace because of that. So, I'll reap a little of that and relax.

I've got to learn how to stick to a more managable pace on the intervals.... any suggestions?

Best,
Jenny

2 comments:

  1. You have speed.

    Be careful though. Speed kills (or rather can break things).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes! I don't want to get injured, but do have difficulty assessing the correct speed.

    Thanks, Paul

    ReplyDelete